Monday, October 16, 2006

Chuseok

Ok, so during the week of Chuseok, I had the opportunity to meet my grandmother and uncle for the first time of my life!

I met my aunt (Uncle's wife)at 상셰 station. My aunt doesn't speak english and I don't speak much Korean...

Me and Aunt 2

She read a book...

...I went to sleep on the train.

One hour and 45 minutes later...we arrived in 안산.

There are a lot of Middle Easterners in this area. A short bus ride later, I met some new family

Family

When my grandmother saw me, she grabbed my hands and started to cry a little

Me and My Grandmother

We then ate some really delicious food. Kimbap, bulgogi, kimchi, dok, tofu jiggae. They kept commenting on how big I was...I don't know how to feel about that. My grandmother kept feeding me and feeding me. I felt like I was about to explode...

My uncle wanted to drink whiskey with me and was trying to get me drunk! Ha!

Me and my Uncle 2

Yes, he IS that short. I was like Andre the Giant compared to them. I'm HUGE!

My uncle then had me watch Superman Returns and Mission Impossible 3.

Communicating was tricky. A lot of body language was used. They also were facinated with my Lonely Planet Phrasebook.

It would've been easier if I could speak more Korean than I can. I have to work on that.

It's weird meeting family for the first time. I really didn't go through alot of emotions. I didn't know what to feel at the time. I did know that this would make my mother and grandmother very happy. I was too.

Me and Cousins

4 Comments:

Blogger Shells Bells said...

SO CUTE! I'm so happy for you that you finally got to meet your grandmother and your extended family! Your cousin (the girl) has the same smile as you do :)

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To tell you the truth, I see some family resemblance. I guess "dining out" to catch up on family matter/history is universal through out the world.

William

7:03 PM  
Blogger RLB said...

Those pictures are awesome!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are you related to this side of the family? Through the mother or father? I'm surprised this would be the first time to meet a first uncle. And you're really tall compared to your uncle!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home